Turning limitation into inspiration, this is the first in a series of recipes born of a 14-day cleanse. Living in a hotel, with no kitchen appliances save a kettle and a knife, in the middle of the Western Region deserts in the emirate of Abu Dhabi, where grocery shopping leaves much to be desired. And yet, we’ve come up with some pretty tasty treats!
Mmmmm . . . divine taste, divine health. This is the perfect compliment to all these yummy salads, soups and steamed veggie plates we’ve been munching on. Because after a few days, crunching down on veggies loses some of its charm – and I was jonzin’ for a sweet sumpin’ sumpin’!
- 2 cups raw soaked almonds
- 2 bananas
- 1 avocado
- ginger to taste
- cinnamon to taste
- agave nectar, honey, or date syrup to taste
- optional: vanilla extract, nutmeg, coconut oil, flaxseed oil. You could also add sea salt or soy milk if you’re not on a cleanse and turn the custard into a kick-booty shake!
There are so few steps necessary for this dessert, it almost seems silly to list them. But for the sake of consistency, here we go!
- Soak the almonds over night in cool drinkable water. Make sure the top is covered enough so no unwanted visitors can get inside.
- Using a food processor, if it’s available, puree the almonds with a little bit of water.
- Chop up the ginger nice and fine. Start out adding just a marble-sized portion or less.
- Add all the ingredients to a blender and . . . voila! You have a scrumptious and healthy addition to your diet. Even if you’re cleansing!
FYI: Cleansing Food Guidelines